About Us

My photo
We aren't afraid to try new recipes, foods and experiences. The phrase "Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon" marks the doorway into our kitchen. These words describe our life.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Crave

What foods do you crave?

It is late afternoon, and I've been working hard all day at my desk. I crave warm, thick peanut butter cookies. Really good ones. Homemade.

I miss my mom, and I crave all her old recipes -- seashell casserole, lasagna, boston baked beans (!!!).

When I was pregnant with College Girl, I craved maple -- maple bars, maple syrup, maple anything.

What is it that makes us crave certain things at certain times? I much prefer sweet than salty. A bag of chips doesn't really do anything for me... but give me some homemade cookies!

It takes me way back to "back then" when we were kids. We had (have) a big family, and always had "extras" around the table. My mom did a great job of feeding a herd. Festivities and events always seemed to be centered around the kitchen or the dinner table. The kitchen was THE center of our house. We had a big counter and we all lined up on the family room side. My mom sat in the "jump" seat on a very specific stool on the kitchen side. If we had too many to fit at the counter, my dad would pull out a drawer on the kitchen side and put a board in the drawer to make another spot.

I was just glancing through some old family photo albums. I thought I'd post some "gathering around the kitchen" photos, but wow -- the 70's resulted in some pretty big hair, crazy orange outfits, and, well you know -- I'd hate to have the sibs after me, so you'll just have to close your eyes and envision arm wrestling, cast writing (our grandma had a cast which we all signed), cookie and cake baking (the start of my cake baking "career"), canning (lots of fruit and veggies), art and science projects and other homework (Dad, we don't do math THAT way!), egg dying, scrapbooking, toy fixing, and map plotting (Someone in the family was always traveling. My dad hung a map on the wall and plotted the traveler's whereabouts so we could keep track of the trip.)

With four brothers, there was a lot of noise. My mom and dad got the great idea to cover the entire wall (family room and kitchen shared wall) with thick brown cork. Really? Who hangs all that cork in their house!?  I don't know if it really cut down on the noise, but it made a great big bulletin board (for said map and other stuff).

At the counter for meals, my dad sat "one out" from the wall. When it was time for dinner, one of us would yell "CORK" and someone else would yell "OTHER SIDE OF DAD!"  The two oldest boys took up stools at the far end of the counter, so it was usually between the youngest four to vie for the spot next to the wall (CORK) and the other side of our dad. The two "losers" got the other two stools between the older boys and the "other side of dad."

Oh, the memories!   All while we were eating tuna a la king or some other Mom Dish.

2 comments:

  1. Great post.
    Are we going to Eight Bells Winery on the 5th?
    http://8bellswinery.com/
    J & J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, that's sweet! Nicely written. Shh-huh-shh-huh-shh.

    ReplyDelete