About Us

My photo
We aren't afraid to try new recipes, foods and experiences. The phrase "Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon" marks the doorway into our kitchen. These words describe our life.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Flour and Sugar and Eggs... Oh My!

A bridal shower for a co-worker on Friday, and a beloved grade school principal is retiring on Saturday. Cake requests for both events. And College Girl is moving home. "Can I take two days vacation from work please?"

Amidst piles of dorm room laundry, and bins and bins (and bins) of stuff (how DID all that fit in that tiny little dorm room), there are bags of flour and sugar, dozens of eggs and pounds of butter. OK -- not really. The butter and eggs aren't IN the piles of laundry. (Didn't want to worry anyone that had eaten the cakes.) You know what I meant... there is a LOT going on in this house this weekend!

For the bridal shower, where 20 ish were expected, I baked three types of cupcakes (chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting -- accented with chopped peanuts and half a peanut butter cup), snickerdoodle (this time garnished on the top with a mini snickerdoodle cookie) and of course coconut.
 
 
 
 They were a big hit, and I farmed out the extras to the guests as they left. Good thing, because more cake was coming...
At the retirement party on Saturday, our fave principal Sister Joanne received a trip to Italy, donated by all her "fans."  It has been a lifelong dream of hers to go there. The party committee asked if I would make a cake to help announce this gift. (The cities on the cake are where she will be visiting.) The photo is a little deceiving... this served about 60 people (I augmented with four sheet cakes from Costco -- there just wasn't enough time or oven space to make cakes for 250 like I originally planned to do). 

And today is REST day. Oh yeah, and back to dealing with the bins in the hall and storing them until school starts again, and cleaning up the laundry piles, and I haven't read hardly any of my current fave book since Thursday. I must find time to read, and perhaps play the piano. But baking... not for a while. Or a few days. Or today. No more baking today.

1 comment:

  1. Let's see… I think I'll eat Venice and Florence. Mmm. Grazie!

    ReplyDelete