About Us

My photo
We aren't afraid to try new recipes, foods and experiences. The phrase "Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon" marks the doorway into our kitchen. These words describe our life.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What's the point...

... of having wonderful ingredients if we aren't going to actually use them? Your cupboards are probably like ours -- a few mysterious bottles or cans of "where the heck did those come from" items.

Last year we were in Huntington Beach, and strolled through neat little shops on Balboa Island. We came across an olive oil shop, and sampled some Black Currant Balsamic Vinegar, and a couple of oils. The vinegar was colored deep purple/black, and very pungent -- the sample we tasted was yummy enough for us to buy a bottle... and it has been sitting in the kitchen, unopened, since then.


We had a delicious meal at Union (on 2nd and Union) this Monday night before a concert. Although the meal was rushed, because we were trying to get to Benaroya on time, the food was delicious. I had a simple salad of mixed greens, Pecorino, pine nuts and a Champagne vinaigrette.

When I didn't have any plans for our dinner last night, I thought of the nice salad from the night before, and the abandoned Black Currant Balsamic sitting on the counter, and decided on a simple mixed green salad of our own. I combined 3 parts Picual Australia olive oil (also from Balboa Island) and 1 part Balsamic, with some shallot, salt and pepper. I tossed the greens with the vinaigrette, threw in some pine nuts, and shaves of Pecorino cheese.



As I was talking to my brother on the phone, I also whipped up goat cheese, tomato and onion tarts. I wasn't paying very close attention to the recipe, since I was more engaged in the phone call, but the tarts still tasted delicious. We have future plans for that tart, so that is all the info you get on that recipe! -- P

1 comment:

  1. When are you opening your restaurant?

    YOU weren't paying attention to the recipe?! YOU?! (oh goody, goody!)
    I'll be right over.

    (This is my third time trying to post a comment. Not a foolproof system they have built in. Argh.)

    ReplyDelete