About Us

My photo
We aren't afraid to try new recipes, foods and experiences. The phrase "Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon" marks the doorway into our kitchen. These words describe our life.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It's 5:00... What's for dinner?



When my mom was around, it seemed I was always calling her just about 5:00... "Mom, I have a pound of hamburger (or some chicken breasts, or whatever). What should I make for dinner?" When she died, I started calling my sis. Now SHE'S in Italy, 9 hours ahead and fast asleep when I'm looking for dinner ideas.

I always think of my mom when I'm stewing a chicken. She did that often -- we had 8 people in our family (and always extra people around our table), so a chicken went far, especially in some of those 70's casseroles.

I still stew chickens -- for soup, for enchiladas, for salads... And as I'm standing there picking off every little bit of meat, I think of my mom and dad -- standing over the hot pot of bones, veggies and meat -- they wouldn't miss even a tiny morsel. Every bone would be stripped.

Thanks Mom and Dad, for feeding us so well and for passing on the "how to" so I know how to stew a chicken now. Love, Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment