My challenge in this test baking phase is to find a cake that tastes good TOMORROW since I'll be baking K's cakes the day before her wedding, and constructing the night before, and or early the day of. The cake will be eaten the day after it is baked, so whatever recipe I use needs to hold up well to "day old". More on the cake in another post...
Here is the start of fresh raspberry filling, berries and other yummy stuff simmering on the stove.
Pressing the berry mixture through a sieve. That spoon is from my mom and dad's silverware drawer. When my mom died and my dad re-married and moved, we divvied up some of that old stuff. I have this large spoon and a couple of little forks. Memories!
Finished raspberry filling. Yummy!

"Inheriting" something can be as simple as a single spoon, absolutely. Whenever you see it in the drawer or use it, the spoon ushers in a rush of memories. I love those little things. I have Mom's measuring spoons. Same thing.
ReplyDeleteThe raspberry sauce looks yummy! Again. Sorry I can't help with the taste-testing.
More on the taste testing in a new post...
ReplyDeleteA few things scattered around our house remind me of mom... some little craft scissors, a couple of really old spice tins, piano music (and the photo of us sitting on the shelf behind the piano when we were trying to play duets together and couldn't get through the song without laughing til our sides hurt).
We have a favorite "ice cream spoon" that we use at dads for scooping the ice cream. Believe me, no one has ever made a scooper nearly as strong and durable as the Waldorf Astoria silver serving spoon that my Great Aunt "borrowed" 50 years ago. It will be a fight to see who inherits it when my dad is gone!
ReplyDelete