I've had two whole weeks off work! AH... just what I needed. We've just returned from a week at Cannon Beach (Oregon), and now that we are home I have some kitchen work to do!
We love basic raspberry freezer jam -- KJ especially. It seems I always miss the berry picking season though -- always busy at work. So I picked up some berries at the store yesterday and I'm going to make a little bit of jam.
But the main thing happening in our kitchen today is test baking. My niece K is getting married later in August and she's asked me to make her wedding cake. I've made many wedding cakes over the years, but it HAS been a little while -- hmmmm could December 8, 2001 be the last one when my dad remarried?
Anyway, K wants a "white cake with raspberry (or lemon) filling" so I've been reading my Rose Levy Beranbaum books to try to find the best recipe. Today I am trying White Velvet Butter Cake, along with a raspberry filling recipe I found.
Pictures and details to follow when the cake comes out of the oven.
I can smell it baking -- sometimes I don't even need a timer to tell me when something is done baking. I can just SMELL the right time to take it out of the oven.
YUM!!

Darn! I'm not there to be a taste-tester! ANY cake you make, Pat, is divine! Make one of each!
ReplyDeleteToo bad my garden isn't closer to you. You could have all the berries you could eat (or make into jam).
Did you hear they have a big surprise planned for the wedding?
Surprise?? What????? I haven't heard anything!?
ReplyDelete